7.23.2011

Luke {Month 3}

Luke,
You are three months old today. You weigh 12 lbs, 7 oz.  I just adore you, my sweet son.
(In the busy-ness of leaving for vacation on your 3 month birthday, I took very blurry photos of you. Then your sister wanted in on the brown chair action:)
 
Some things I want to remember about you:
You sleep in 3-6 hour chunks at night, and I never know what kind of night it's going to be.
To address the wrangling-out-of-our-stellar-swaddle issue, I bought the Miracle Blanket and now you sleep swaddled and cozy (hands down, favorite baby product).
Your before sleep lullaby is "Barges." I only know the chorus so I just sing it over and over (and over). Barges, I would like to go with you, I would like to sail the ocean blue.  Barges, are there treasures in your hold, do you fight with pirates brave and bold?
You smile so flirtily!
You follow Vivian and Daddy with your eyes and head.
You spit up.  A lot. But you don't seem to care one bit.
I've been peed on quite a lot.  It takes me a minute every time to realize what is going on.
You coo.
You do not like the car seat.  At all.  You cry.  A lot.  As soon as you're out of the car seat you're happy as can be.
You suck your thumb (just like in your ultrasound picture!).
In the past couple of weeks, several people have said you look like me (I don't see it).
You happily hang out in the carrier and usually fall asleep in it, too.  I love having you close and cozy (and having two free hands to play with Viv, bake brownies or go shopping for sunglasses!).
Vivian's unprompted assessment of you last week: "He's so cute, lovely and nice!"
When I asked Vivian what she wants to teach you as you get older, she said "I want to teach him to have kind words."  The hope I hold dearest is that you and your sister grow up with kind hearts.  I value kindness above pretty much above all else.
Daddy's been working hard to elicit a laugh from you - we've come close but I'm thinking maybe that's on the horizon for your fourth month.  We're looking forward to all of it, sweet boy.

4 comments:

Molly said...

So. Dang. Cute! It sounds like you and Tyler are 2 peas in a pod. He HATES his car seat, sucks on his hands and he's a regular Houdini at getting out of his swaddles!

It's so cute to see how much Vivian loves him. I too hope my children have kind hearts above all else. Kindness is what life is all about!

Happy 3 months Luke!

AmyK said...

3 months?! Happy Birthday Sweet Luke! xoxoxoxoxoxo

Victoria Nelson said...

this post makes me so, so happy...about so many different things. love you lukey luke, and of course, lots of love to our sweet vivian!
xo,
victoria

Kristi said...

Dear Luke,
You have the most beautiful, big, soulful eyes! xoxo

Dear Viv,
I love your description of your brother and love even more that you want to teach him to be kind. I adore you sweet girl.

Dear Hannah,
Did your heart almost leap out of your chest when Viv said she wanted to teach him to have kind words?! Sigh!