11.30.2010

December Eve


 I didn't mean to take all of November off.  In fact, I had intended on posting daily about all I'm thankful for (and I'm thankful for so much).  But it just didn't happen.

I've been feeling a little disconnected.  A little uninspired, a little underwhelmed.

Last week I had a little epiphany about why.  Since Vivian was born I have been fueled by adrenaline in some form or another:  I held my new baby in my arms for months - and we didn't know whether she would live or die; she survived the surgery that successfully repaired her heart and then it was diagnosis after diagnosis that eventually added up to CHARGE syndrome; that led to more specialists, more therapy appointments, more surgery, all the while not knowing what the future held.  Would she be able to hear us?  Would kind of communication model best suited her?  Would she walk?  What was our big picture going to look like?  In the middle of so many unknowns and sadnesses, I held on with all my might to the joyful moments (of which there were many).  I soaked them in and let them propel me over the next hurdle.  I recorded them here so that now I can look back and remember, reading between the lines to recall the whole story.

We're now three years in, and we pretty much know what we're dealing with.  The adrenaline that propelled me through that sea of gray has waned.  I find myself immersed more in the day-to-day grit of parenting a three year old.  Please don't misunderstand me - I am thankful, to my core, for this gift of day-to-day grit.  It's what I longed for when I didn't know if I'd ever have it.  But I'm adjusting to life where I'm not wondering so much, not fueled by the surge of intense worry and searching and the unknown. 

In December I'll be counting my blessings and capturing little moments of joy.  (I've missed this space in the last few months when my stops here have been so piddly.)  Now I'm off to make some hot cocoa and popcorn for our afternoon snack...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed you...Oh how I wish I could sit and have some hot cocoa and popcorn with you and just chat!
With love from Wisconsin (Sara and Maddie's Aunt Karen)

Susannah said...

i love this :It's what I longed for when I didn't know if I'd ever have it. But I'm adjusting to life where I'm not wondering so much, not fueled by the surge of intense worry and searching and the unknown.

and that picture of viv, strutting, brings so so much joy. grateful for you, my friend.

aka-mama said...

miss viv looks like such a big girl in her rain gear! love it!

and though i have missed you here I am glad to hear that you are in the day to day grit!

Susan said...

Hello my wise and wonderful friend...your description of life then & life now makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad to catch glimpses of it all on your blog & during our periodic lunchtime visits. And I so love this photo of Vivian...the confidence she exudes in it is a joy to behold! xoxo

Kristi said...

So much to say, friend.

First, the picture of Viv... looking at her in all of her confident, three year-old, raincoat-wearing glory as she strides easily over the wet bricks pretty much knocked me for a loop! Made my eyes well with tears of joy and pride... and it made me miss you both so much.

Second, your words... so poignant... so beautiful. While my 7 1/2 years as Gracie's mom has not yet allowed a life unfueled by worries and unknowns, I have adjusted the best I know how and still completely get your words. More than relating, though, I feel utter joy knowing this is where you, Vince and Viv are now. And, as for parenting a three year-old and the day-to-day grind of that... I so totally get that!

Love you, miss you and have missed your words.

Crystal M. said...

I know what you mean, for years with all Eva's medical issues I was posting and keeping track and now its slowed down and more "normal" (as normal as a CHARGE child can make ones life). Glad to see some new pics and posts of Miss Vivian I know I have been behind as well.
Love,
Crystal and Eva

Anonymous said...

So happy to have you posting again...and I so understand where you are coming from. There is such a huge push for our little ones in the early years with so many unknowns and then when we find ourselves in the midst of well "normal life" it is a bit disconcerning but so wonderful. Soak it up, and enjoy that beautiful and oh so full of life three year old of yours!