5.05.2010

Delight


Vivian's teacher absolutely delights in each of her students.  She is genuinely interested, deeply cares and always has something lovely to say.  Even if you just pass her in the hall, you get zapped with that sweet energy of being delighted in.  That's just the kind of person she is.

Each night when Viv hears Vince's keys in the door, she stops in her tracks and enthusiastically calls "Daddy!", her face completely lit from within as she looks towards the front door and waits for Vince to round the corner.  Vivian completely delights in her nightly reunion with Dad.
I read this a while ago (but I don't remember where): Everyone longs to be delighted in.  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.  I've been pondering the effects of being delighted in and the effects of delighting in people around me.  It makes me think about people I love being around because they enthusiastically celebrate the good deal I found on Craigslist or the fact that Viv seems so sturdy holding my hand or they warmly laugh at my juvenile sense of humor - little moments - but they matter.  It feels good to delight in a friend's good news or cute shoes or brilliant idea.  I'm thinking that being a little more mindful of the act of delighting may be just the ticket to so many good things.  Everyone longs to be delighted in.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Oh I miss you so. Let's walk soon.

Anonymous said...

I delight in you!
Love from Wisconsin (Maddie and Sara's Aunt)

Kristi said...

Brilliant!
I truly love (read... delight in) this post, Hannah. Truly.

Oh... and can Miss Viv be any cuter?!
(said in Chandler tone :-))

Susannah said...

i love this post and all i know is that YOU are also exactly that type of person- you are SO good at delighting in others (big and small moments). it is always a reminder to me- so glad you are my friend!

brandonsmom said...

i always come here when i need a little emotional lift. :) and there you go doing it again with this delightful post! can't wait to meet up with you guys!

Molly said...

What a great word! What a great post!

Anonymous said...

I love this. What a beautiful reminder, thank you.