10.21.2009

LA Stories

Our whirlwind trip to LA enabled us to spend time with three of our most favorite families.

One.
It was Matt's birthday weekend, so we partied it up with Matt and Mer. Partying it up with Matt and Mer means eating fab-u food and laughing a lot. It means we are totally happy doing not much at all, as long as we're together. With Vivian in the mix now, it means that Viv says "Up Ma" ("Up Matt") and looks at him adoringly:
Seeing Matt and Mer means we get to see Viv's favorite four-legged friend, Jenny. Viv has talked about "Ne-nee" each and every day since our August vacation with M+M+j in Santa Barbara. During this trip, we heard Viv talking about Jenny from her Pack-n-Play as she slept. "Ne-nee, Ma. Ne-nee ba. Ne-nee lala." (Jenny, Matt. Jenny barks. Jenny water.)


Two.
Vince went to college with Awesome Adam. Adam married Sweetest Shari. Adam and Shari made an adorable human being named (Bodacious) Brandon. The six of us enjoyed breakfast and then went up into the hills of Los Angeles to a lovely park where Brandon and Vivian gave us a glimmer of the future: Henchmyn Junior (Adam was in a band called Henchmyn):



Three.
Where do I even begin this LA story? This is one I don't really have adequate words to describe. A dear friend went from unmet to met on this trip. Kristi and I met through our blogs. Our girls share the same diagnosis, but our friendship is so much more than that connection. Kristi has been an unwavering support to me in so many ways. Seeing her, Gracie and Preston in person for the first time was being with friends we were meant to know. I cannot imagine being on this journey without them, and in moments where nothing makes sense, it is this friendship that makes it all make sense.

Gracie, the epitome of light and sweetness, swiped Preston's yogurt spoon for tastes and snuggled in my lap. Preston ran into my arms for a giant hug and took me on a tour of the backyard, calling me "Vivian's mommy". Kristi and I started a bajillion conversations, finishing none of them, as we read books, sang songs and doled out snacks to our little ones. Sadly, Miss Gracie fell asleep before I got out my camera and started taking photos, but here are some really special moments, captured, with more to come:


My friend Susannah is an uber-talented artist who creates cards for Papyrus (her cards are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE to buy and send! Go buy some!). After our weekend with friends who I wish, wish, wish lived closer, I thought of Susannah's card:

M+M+j, A+S+b, K+J+g+p=totally in the imaginary neighborhood of my dreams!

12 comments:

Karen Rock said...

Darling video! What carefree, crazy girl. Glad youhad great times with friends old and new (or is it "knew" sin e technically you already did?)!

The Claytons said...

So cool that you and Kristi finally got to meet! I cannot wait to meet the Charge mommies in person that I share the blog world with! Looks like you had an amazing time with all three families that you got to spend time with!


Kim

Auntie Sarah said...

Im so happy to hear that you and Kristi and Gracie got to meet you and Vivi... I love hearing Krist's comments... and I think of Gracie often. Looks like lots of friend fun! Matt and Mer's dog is the CUTEST! what breed is it? hope we get to see you guys a little bit this weekend... Lala to all!<3

Susannah said...

aw, you are so sweet- i am blushing! i know; i love that one too! (am i allowed to love my own card? :)) what a fantastic post- (aside from the part about my card that is ;))

Little Miss Evie said...

It sounds like you guys had tons of fun! I must admit that seeing you all in t-shirts in the sun makes me very jealous. We are dreaming of nice warm weather up here. :)

Susan Austin said...

I love it! xo

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

What a fun trip to LA! So happy that you got to meet Kristi, Gracie, and Preston--what cherished memories I'm sure you'll have from that visit! Wish we lived closer to CA so Katie and I could meet all of you, too! :-)

Kristi said...

I cannot imagine being on this journey without them, and in moments where nothing makes sense, it is this friendship that makes it all make sense.

As always, so beautifully and perfectly said, Hannah. I feel exactly the same... you are a part of my heart (now more than ever, in so many ways) and I truly treasure the thought of all future gatherings of our families.

With much love...

(And, I am totally with Auntie Sarah, Matt and Mer's dog, Jenny, is adorable!)

Shari said...

YAY! My first blog mention. Hannah, you are such a beautiful person and I love every minute we get to spend together (even though they're usually separated by way too many months). It's no wonder Vivian is blossoming into such an amazing, joyful and gorgeous person. You are Vince are fantastic parents and I can't wait to see you three again next month.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that card! It's the most perfect card ever.

Kristi said...

Preston and I just watched Brandon and Vivian rockin' out together!
They are soooo cute... and I just LOVE how Vivian shakes with everything she has!!!

(Now he's asking if you are coming to play today! "Mama, Vivian and Bubby go park???" Someday, Bubby!)

aka-mama said...

Looks like you had a great trip! What a wonderful way to spend a weekend! =)

Bloom Pilates said...

Wow I feel so lucky to be the "co-star" of this blog entry. We had such a great time with you guys. Can't thank you enough for coming. We so wish we lived closer to you too.
love,
Mer