7.02.2009

Lentils and Rice, Lentils and Rice

Lentils and Rice are so nice!

I really, really like lentils. I make lentils and rice a lot, and it never gets old. It's comfort food to me. I made it on Tuesday for dinner and tonight we had leftovers on greens with feta cheese on top.


Viv likes it, too. She says "mmmmmm"

Lentils and Brown Rice

in a little olive oil, saute:
a chopped onion
chopped carrots
chopped celery

add:
1/2 - 1 cup brown rice
1/2 - 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
16 oz chicken stock (I use water and organic Better than Bouillon from Costco)

Bring to boil. Cover and turn down to a simmer for 50 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and lentils and brown rice are cooked.

Sometimes I add in bell pepper or zucchini or peas at the end.

I love to eat it topped with my favorite Mexican hot sauce and maybe a little cheese or tomato. Simple food that makes me so happy.


4 comments:

Susannah said...

i am so excited to try this because we have avoided lentils ever since the first year of our marriage when i made such a bad lentil dish (for company!) that they have been pretty much banned. i do have some in my pantry and now i can try something to redeem myself!!!

Unknown said...

I have never cooked lentils before - must try it sometime, it looks really good!

Kristi said...

Looks delicious!
I think I will try this recipe this week! :-)

Unknown said...

I am a silent follower but I have to comment on the Lentils & Rice recipe.
I made it last night and everyone had seconds! I liked it with Feta Cheese on top.