The little squares on my calendar are overflowing this week. I woke up this morning with a not-so-great attitude, feeling the weight of our week on me.
Then I got an email from my friend Susannah letting me know she had tagged me on her blog. I don't usually get around to answering tags - but this one came on a day when I knew I needed to slow down and remember the things I love about being a mom, even if our days are spent driving from appointment to appointment to appointment.
Then I got an email from my friend Susannah letting me know she had tagged me on her blog. I don't usually get around to answering tags - but this one came on a day when I knew I needed to slow down and remember the things I love about being a mom, even if our days are spent driving from appointment to appointment to appointment.

What 5 things do you love about being a mom?
1 : Learning
I learn about what Vivian needs, what she likes (books, people, mango, getting her teeth brushed) , doesn't like (rice, barrettes), what makes her laugh (saying "va va va va va" enthusiastically), what motivates her (singing a song, particularly "The Wheels on the Bus" and "The Color Song" ), what's hard for her (being on her tummy, crawling). As I learn about Viv, I'm learning more about myself than I did in the thirty years before becoming a mom: to face challenges with courage, to ask questions, to let go, to be confident in my abilities despite not knowing all the answers, to choose to be find the good in tough spots.
2 : Teaching
The parts I loved best about being a kindergarten & 1st grade teacher are things I get to do every day with Vivian: reading, observing, singing, redirecting, encouraging, sitting back just enough to let her figure it out, celebrating, nurturing, creating, trying. Of course, like #1, it is clear to me that Vivian teaches me way more than I could ever teach her. She is an amazing teacher. Amazing.
3 : Laughing
We laugh every day. Is there anything better than that?
4 : Big Picture
It's easy for me to get caught up in the daily grit of parenthood - but keeping my eye on the big picture (I am a big picture, girl, after all) is a gift. Everything falls into focus - what's really important here? What is my ultimate wish for Vivian? What will we reminisce about, treasure and savor in 10 or 20 or 30 years? This essay is a beautiful, articulate and eloquent reminder that I love to read and re-read.
5 : The Little Things
Within the big picture of what really and truly matters, there are countless itty bitty moments. Some are funny, some poignant, some beautiful, some quiet and boring, some frustrating or worrying. But being Vivian's mom encourages me to slow down. I notice spring blossoms, rambunctious squirrels, and airplanes in the sky. I hear birds (singing and thumping), helicopters and Vince's key in the door each evening. I taste peaches and mangoes and fig newtons as if it's my first delicious bite.
I fall into bed each evening, tired and happy. I am content. This is the best job I've ever had. Being a mom feeds me. I am imperfect in just about every way, and I am okay with that. I have no expectation of myself to do it perfectly. I do expect that I'll keep learning, teaching and laughing through the moments that make up the pages of our story.
OK, I feel better about our ca-razy week. It's all good.
I learn about what Vivian needs, what she likes (books, people, mango, getting her teeth brushed) , doesn't like (rice, barrettes), what makes her laugh (saying "va va va va va" enthusiastically), what motivates her (singing a song, particularly "The Wheels on the Bus" and "The Color Song" ), what's hard for her (being on her tummy, crawling). As I learn about Viv, I'm learning more about myself than I did in the thirty years before becoming a mom: to face challenges with courage, to ask questions, to let go, to be confident in my abilities despite not knowing all the answers, to choose to be find the good in tough spots.
2 : Teaching
The parts I loved best about being a kindergarten & 1st grade teacher are things I get to do every day with Vivian: reading, observing, singing, redirecting, encouraging, sitting back just enough to let her figure it out, celebrating, nurturing, creating, trying. Of course, like #1, it is clear to me that Vivian teaches me way more than I could ever teach her. She is an amazing teacher. Amazing.
3 : Laughing
We laugh every day. Is there anything better than that?
4 : Big Picture
It's easy for me to get caught up in the daily grit of parenthood - but keeping my eye on the big picture (I am a big picture, girl, after all) is a gift. Everything falls into focus - what's really important here? What is my ultimate wish for Vivian? What will we reminisce about, treasure and savor in 10 or 20 or 30 years? This essay is a beautiful, articulate and eloquent reminder that I love to read and re-read.
5 : The Little Things
Within the big picture of what really and truly matters, there are countless itty bitty moments. Some are funny, some poignant, some beautiful, some quiet and boring, some frustrating or worrying. But being Vivian's mom encourages me to slow down. I notice spring blossoms, rambunctious squirrels, and airplanes in the sky. I hear birds (singing and thumping), helicopters and Vince's key in the door each evening. I taste peaches and mangoes and fig newtons as if it's my first delicious bite.
I fall into bed each evening, tired and happy. I am content. This is the best job I've ever had. Being a mom feeds me. I am imperfect in just about every way, and I am okay with that. I have no expectation of myself to do it perfectly. I do expect that I'll keep learning, teaching and laughing through the moments that make up the pages of our story.
OK, I feel better about our ca-razy week. It's all good.

3 comments:
I love #1 the most. Motherhood is a fascinating education.
It's good to remember all the good stuff! Especially when you've got to spend so much time at appointments.
I thought you were probably a 1st grade teacher! We are kind of a unique breed. :) I taught 1st grade for 4 years and now I teach Reading Recovery and computers. I'm hoping to drop the computers soon and just do the RR part-time.
i love this. i don't usually respond to tags either but i loved the question (as well as nicole's blog- who tagged me). sometimes we need to remember what makes the days so special, even when they don't feel so much that way in the moment. thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment