4.18.2009

One Night

We drove south on Thursday for day one of road trip that was meant to land us in LA, with stops in the towns where Vince and I went to college on either end of the trip. We only made it through night one in San Luis Obispo. Viv was on day three of waning cold-like symptoms and high spirits when we left home (Vince thinks it's allergies from all the wind, I think it's a cold aggravated by all the pollen in the wind) but after a rough night in SLO (her symptoms got worse and we did not sleep much) followed by a vomiting episode on Friday morning, we decided to cut our losses and not risk ending up all the way down in LA with a sick, contagious baby.

During our 20 hours in SLO, we (insert wiping Viv's little nose and then applying aquaphor to her poor raw skin every 10 minutes or so):
  • shared a veggie burrito from our favorite taqueria in a sunny spot at the mission
  • walked around downtown, happy to see familiar places mixed in with the new
  • returned downtown for Thurday night farmers' market: bought strawberries, avocados, apples and Cowboy cookies (the cookies were for our friends in LA - next time, M+M!) and ran into old family friends who live nearby (I love serendipitous meetings like this)
  • ate dinner at Big Sky, my all time favorite restaurant. Ever. Turkey burger, salad with balsamic vinegarette and bread pudding for dessert (dessert ended up being "to go" and eaten in bed!)
  • didn't really sleep
  • woke up early with a baby who wasn't quite herself
  • ate breakfast (a giant coffee, really)
  • Viv threw up while we packed
  • tried to decide whether to risk it and continue south or call it a trip and head home
  • drove through Cal Poly campus to show Viv my old dorm, the view of my mountains (I call them "mine" only because I love them so), the cafeteria where I survived on garden burgers and baked potatoes and my apartment sophomore year (at the foot of Madonna Mtn. - the fog used to pour down it - and I could have watched that from our living room window for hours)
  • and then drove home while Viv took a very long and much needed nap



7 comments:

The Claytons said...

Sounds like ya'll enjoyed yourselves despite not making it to your destination and sweet Vivian becoming ill. I hope she is on the mend and feeling much better and that ya'll enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Kim

mama said...

Hannah! I didn't know you were a Cal Poly girl! We will have to talk about SLO sometime. Oh how I miss it (Ben was a Cal Poly boy while I was a Cuesta girl for a few years). Hope Vivian is feeling well again.
Jen (Joan's neighbor)
PS I LOVE Big Sky!

greta ott said...

I am totally confused. Didn't I go to college with you. I swear that's where we met. SFSU, right?

sorry viv was a little down.
you three sure are cute through, cold or not.

xo
g

hannah m said...

Greta - I am laughing so hard right now! Yes, this would seem totally confusing...but I went to Cal Poly SLO for 2 years right after high school...and then I transferred to SFSU for jr & sr year & credential program and met you! Cal Poly wasn't really my cup of tea. But I still like to visit because I do have lots of happy memories there.

Don't worry, you're not losing your mind - we totally met at SFSU :-)!

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Sorry you had to cut your trip short, but it looks like you had a nice time in San Luis Obispo. Love all the pics of Sweet Vivian--she gets cuter every day!

Crystal M. said...

Sounds like a nice little trip minus Miss Vivian not feeling well. I hope the rest of the weekend was just as well.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Susannah said...

oh, i love slo! such a fun little city with yummy spots. :) reminds me of college (i went to davis, but my roomie's sister was @ cal poly so we'd visit) so fun!