1.03.2009

Joy in January

I must confess: I am not fond of the month of January. I really, really don't like it.

If your birthday is in January, I like that day. But all the other days...not so much.

Maybe it's my years as a teacher - January was a loooooong month to teach through. (March was a long one too, but I'll keep my distaste for March to myself for a few months.) Maybe it's the hype about new beginnings and fresh starts that inspires me and then frustrates me as I get lazy. Or perhaps it's just the noticeable lack of fresh baked cookies sitting on my counter now that the holidays are done and my jeans are feeling a little tighter.

Anyhow, after years of failing at my silly resolution to Drink more water, I don't make resolutions. But I will commit to spending each day in January finding joy. Care to join me?


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet picture of your little gir. I will join you in finding "joy in January". I have a birthday in January and I am not liking January very much this year already. Thanks for trying to find the positives.

Victoria Nelson said...

well, just by looking at this picture of our sweet vivian, i certainly found joy!
i was the lucky one to get the leftovers today - justin just stared at me as i took every delicious bite of it. ;-) thank you again for the gourmet meal.
love you guys and talk soon,
victoria

greta ott said...

I'll join you. I can use a little more joy. And if you seek it, it will come, right?

AmyK said...

I am with you sister! More Joy in January! Though I may make some resolutions this year as well, we'll see, it's already the 4th after all!

Crystal M. said...

I agree January is slow and lazy and I just never had much to celebrate in Jan. But that sweet little face sure helped me find some joy!!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Kristi said...

LOVE this pic!
Preston does, too! He signed, "laugh baby" when he saw it!
January is my least favorite month, too. All the pretty lights are gone, the trees are barren, and there is this general letdown after all of the fuss and festivities - - a "back to business" hum-drum, if you will.
BUT, this picture of Vivian will surely cancel all of that out! Perhaps framed next to, "Keep Calm, Carry On" to get through this month?!
:-)
I am printing this one and it's going on our board! :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Hannah!

Parenting a child with special needs brings a lot of heartbreak, but I think it also brings a lot more joy. After all, we can't take much for granted.

So here's to finding and celebrating the joy around us every day!

amy and mighty max said...

I am all in with you for "joy in january" and I love, love, love that photo of Miss Hannah!! :) (By the way, do you use photoshop, picnik or what program to do your editing?)

I actually like January because it's a fresh start and such promise for new adventures! I seriously was over the top crazy happy on January 1st. Perhaps it was because Max started the day with learning how to draw a circle! YAY!!!

Love to all of you...and here is to an awesome January of health, peace, love and JOY!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I could use some joy in january. but actually, coming to your site was a seach for joy and i sure found it in little vivian's face

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Happy New Year! I'm not a January lover either (except for the 17th, which is Katie's birthday), but your quest for finding the "joy in January" is contagious! Love all the new pics of Miss Vivian since I last checked in!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, Hannah, and will definitely join you in looking for simple joy in each day in January. xo Susan