1.27.2009

J in J : A Good Doctor


I really try to listen to that little voice. Do you know the one? It whispers into your ear, your heart, your mind, and it gives you insight you might not even know you need.

Well, last week at Speech Play Group, I heard that little voice (though not so little - it was loud and clear!) when a couple other moms commented on a particular audiologist that they loved for their little ones (thanks, S!). That little voice said Call! Call! So, the next day I called.

We're about to purchase hearing aids for Viv (insurance doesn't cover them) - and I want to make sure we buy them from the office/audiologist who will be the best match for Vivian's needs in the years to come. Buying hearing aids creates a long relationship with the office you purchase from.

This afternoon we had that appointment. People, this audiologist is amazing. She happens to know CHARGE syndrome really well (impressive), she explained Viv's hearing loss and hearing aid needs so that I actually understand it, she loved signing with Viv and was simultaneously so warm, straightforward and honest. I left her office feeling completely joyful, hopeful, inspired and confident.

Early on in this journey, I made a promise to Vivian and to myself that we would only see doctors and therapists that are uplifting, supportive, honest and kind while simultaneously knowing how to best help Vivian's myriad needs. Basically, if I can't imagine sitting down to coffee with one of our doctors, he or she is not the right doctor for us. I used that "coffee test" for myself long before Vivian's arrival - and I see no reason to stop now. Au lait, anyone?

12 comments:

Carrie said...

Awesome! You are doing such a great job of building a great team. And I must say, I love seeing photos of Viv sitting at the piano. It always reminds me of Schroeder from Peanuts.

Catherine L said...

A great philosophy, dear Hannah!

Kristi said...

You ROCK, Hannah! And so does Viv!

I will take a Carmel Macchiato! And... a few new, new doctors if I am going to adopt that philosophy!!! (And I think I will!)

Curious who the audiologist is...? We've seen several and one is in your neck of the woods!

The Claytons said...

Such great news! I am just like that and if I can't sit and have a conversation with the dr. because they are too busy about worrying to get in and out then that is definitely not a doctor for Christopher. We recently found out Christopher's pediatrician has breast cancer. This woman is the most awesome dr. in the world. If we lose her I dont know what we will do! Once again - way to go!!

angie said...

i love that it went well...and i wonder why we are surprised when we find someone amazing, because the truth is there is a lot of amazing out there...i'm just glad you found some yesterday!

Victoria Nelson said...

an au lait it is! i heart good doctors =) especially when they're for our vivian.
love you guys,
victoria

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your afternoon was successful! I love your coffee philosophy!

Sara said...

Hannah--I LOVE your coffee test! That is great and I am so happy you found a doctor that you like well enough to have coffee with.

I am going to steal that idea by the way. ;)

I am learnig so much from you and Viv! Thank you for sharing your lives with us. You enrich my life every day!

Hugs, Sara

Crystal M. said...

That is so wonderful, I am still looking for the right speech therapist for Eva our last one had a student and she made the student do all the work and she went out and made phone calls and what not. For a month they played with a glove, come on we need to try something else here people!!
I am so glad you found that right person.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Susannah said...

so so glad it was a good fit! i know, she is pretty great. besos to your little one! m and i are off for an adventuring day!

Anonymous said...

I love your doctor philosophy - I think I'll have to adopt it too. When Charlie was just born we saw a slew of doctors and their attitude and reactions to my son could make or break the day or even week for a mom in un-chartered waters.

-Libby

Rachel said...

This post made me feel so good! Knowing that it can be rare to find a knowledgable "professional" who cares and spends the time and effort to make sure you know it... well, that's just no small miracle sometimes.

What a breath of fresh air.

And GOSH I am loving seeing all the pictures I've missed from the recent posts. Viv is just radiant!