When I'm huffing and puffing along (some may call it jogging) and want to stop, this song often pops up on my mp3 player. Hearing it wills me to keep going. This morning I listened to it four times in a row (that's how much I wanted to stop). But I didn't stop, I pushed myself to put one foot in front of the other (endorphins, please). (Then I came home and inhaled a bowl of cereal for lunch.)
The words that I really like in Regina Spektor's On the Radio (from the album Begin to Hope) are these:
This is how it works/You're young until you're not/You love until you don't/You try until you can't/You laugh until you cry/You cry until you laugh/And everyone must breathe/Until their dying breath
No, this is how it works/You peer inside yourself/You take the things you like/And try to love the things you took/And then you take that love you made/And stick it into some/Someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood/And walking arm in arm/You hope it don't get harmed/But even if it does/You'll just do it all again
I think the reason I like these words so much is that they remind me of the big picture of life: the sweet & the salty; the light & the dark; the hard & the easy. And at the heart of all that is love: giving it and receiving it; risking it and being courageous as you dive in, giving it all you've got.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have never heard that song, thanks for sharing. I am always listening to music in the car and it always makes me think of my life and Eva's
Keep on jogging.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Thanks for sharing Hannah! I also find myself extra motivated to certain songs, these days it is Ben's newest album. I am trying to do am workouts and I give you major kudos for jogging in the morning, I am find that I am at least 25% slower in the morning, ugh.
Post a Comment