12.04.2008

Home Again

We got home from the hospital this afternoon. It is good to be home, and Viv's doing great. Thanks for thoughts and prayers that were so tangible and comforting.

I don't know that I ever felt so helpless as I did after the first surgery. Viv was in a lot of pain, arching her back and so clearly uncomfortable, but nothing I did helped. Painkillers were not helping. She was crying A LOT and we now think that caused her new and fragile nasal passage to be agitated and bleed A LOT. That led to gurgly sounds. Which led to the ENT deciding that Viv needed to get re-intubated in order to have a second look. And somewhere in all that the nurse realized her IV line had come out, so who knows if our Sweet Miss had gotten any pain meds at all. During the second procedure the doctor cauterized a little bit and very carefully checked things out.

It was a much more difficult day than I had anticipated, but I'm thankful for thorough, careful and kind doctors and nurses. I'm thankful for friends who let me shed tears on shoulders and over the phone. I'm thankful that Viv slept beautifully last night (that makes one of us!), resting and healing. Her spunk and personality are coming back with each passing hour. I am so very thankful for that!


Flirting with the cutie pie in the next hospital bed by drumming on a box of wipes!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post. So glad you are home and Vivian is well!

Michele said...

Glad to hear Vivian is doing well and that you are all back home.

AmyK said...

So, so glad you are home and that Vivi is doing well! Sorry to hear it was so much more then expected, sending virtual hugs your way!

LisaAnn said...

Oh Goodness! I have thought about her all day. So, so glad she is at home now. Thank you for your updates!

Carrie said...

Oh Hannah, I'm so sad that she was in pain. She is such a tough cookie. (you too!)

Anonymous said...

oh dear, what an ordeal. glad that you're all home and doing OK. here's to better times with 2 nostrils! :)

Kristi said...

I ached when I read that her line came out and they weren't sure if she'd gotten any of her pain meds. Poor, sweet girl.
So glad that she's home and doing so well! That's wonderful news.
I am so very curious what exactly they did and what the gameplan is... I didn't realize that you'd be home so fast (awesome!) and it sounds like no stents were used... so I am very curious! :-) Our experience with all of this was over 5 years ago!
Glad you're home and sending all three of you wishes for a restful slumber tonight!
Kristi

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Vivian, so glad you are back home already and doing OK. Hope you are healed up and back to your sweet self very soon! Give your mommy extra hugs--it's hard for us mommies to watch our babies in pain.

Crystal M. said...

I am glad to hear she is doing well and is home, she is such a sweetie, I love her sweet face and cheeks.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

greta ott said...

Sorry Viv had a rough day. I am sorry you had a hard mom day.

I am glad that she is home. Little ones are very tough. vivian is proof of that.

Auntie Sarah said...

We should make her "Little Drummer Girl" for Christmas! She really gets into those drums!