8.13.2008

Well, That Was Fun!

On Saturday we celebrated Vivian's first birthday. I had so much fun planning the celebration - a sweet treat buffet in our backyard. I baked and froze sweet treats in the weeks leading up to the party, which gave Vivian and me an excuse to turn up the music, dance and make a mess in the kitchen. As much as this day was a celebration of Vivian's first year, it was equally a way for me to express gratitude to friends and family who have buoyed me up during a tough yet wonderful year. I tried to convey that but ended up crying (surprise, surprise).

Thank you, thank you, in real-life friends, Benbo readers, and internet friends alike, for making this year such a beautiful journey - it wouldn't have been the same without you.


The invitation


The setting (everything had some little meaning or connection for me): 12 months of Vivian photos on the mandevilla trellis; party streamers; mini vanilla cupcakes and mini chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (because she's our little cupcake); the sweet treat table; sweet, savory and spicy snack mix (we made a lot of this in the new year and ate it with meyer lemon drops); raspberry pecan blondies (raspberry because Vivian loves to blow raspberries and pecans to remember our trip to Austin, TX); pretzel m&m hugs and kisses (for all the hugs and kisses we give Miss Vivian); Aunt Augusta's sugar cookies (family recipe that Viv and I made before her surgery at Christmas- the start of a yearly tradition); salty oatmeal cookies (for all those mornings in the fall and winter when I enjoyed my oatmeal); cupcake tiers; welcome sign on the front door


Scenes from the party

Attempting to tempt the birthday girl with cream cheese frosting. It ended up mostly on her thumb, and she seemed mildly interested - but then, not so much.

It was a really fun day.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh Hannah...I am so sorry we missed Vivian's party! Emily was really not feeling well and still is getting over her cold. I love the pictures that you posted and the food looked so yummy! I hope we can see you before I go back to work...yuck!

Carrie said...

It was wonderful. You were an amazing hostess, Martha :)

Sara said...

Wow! It looks like it was a great party! And I love your "sweet" idea.....I think I am going to use that for Madeline's 5th birthday.

I loved the special meaning behind what you served and all the special touches you did for Vivian's party. Thank you for sharing the pictures and stories behind them.

Vivian is lucky to have such a wonderful Mommy!! It is apparant how much you love and adore her though your blog. It is also apparant that you have a great support network of family and friends.

Hugs, Sara

Michele said...

I wish I could have made it! What a cute party!

Kristi said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time! I LOVE your photos... you get amazing shots, just like Catherine does of Reuebn. You talented people! :-)
I am partial to the frosting ones :-) not just because Vivian is a little sticky but the expresssions of pure happiness on your face and Vince's.
And the theme... what a wonderful idea! So creative and YUMMY!
Ooh... and LOVE the invitation photo, too!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures - looks like a marvellous day!

Catherine L said...

What a beautiful celebration of Vivan's birthday and I love your touching collages of photos. They're timeless. I'm finally getting round to adding your blog as a link from Reuben's, just sorry it's taken so long. Vivian is an absolute doll... cx

Catherine L said...

PS how I wish I knew how to cook!!!