We LOVE plums around here. But not just any plum. Vince and I both adore the distinct and nothing-like-it taste of the Santa Rosa plum. But its season is short - and ended about six weeks ago.
On Saturday we were in San Francisco at the Ferry Building for the farmers' market. And though there were no Santa Rosa plums, Vince was reminded of the nearly-as-good Elephant Heart Plum by a farmer-vendor. There were none to be had at the Ferry Building - apparently all the city chefs had been up at the crack of dawn to get their paws on the crop.
So on Sunday we went to a more local, less fancy chefs, suburban farmers' market and got our hands on some Elephant Hearts (it's just the start of the season, so you should be able to find them for the next few weeks, at least in these parts).
Vince had already created the idea for the Babar-tini (Babar being the French elephant from a series of delightful children's books) in his mind on Saturday. Sunday night he made it happen, and it was awesome. Read Vince's recipe for the plum martini with basil here (I promise, the basil is the perfect balance - it will not taste like you are drinking pesto!). Make some for yourself! If you don't drink, I bet it would be delicious as a spritzer or mixed with iced tea.
Vivian did not get a Babar-tini, but she did enjoy the plum in her food feeder (continuing to work on solids any way we can...).





7 comments:
YUM!!! :-)
Oh... and the name of the drink is too cute!!!
Vivian is adorable!! I found your blog through Lily's, I also have a daughter with CHARGE. Its amazing who when you 1st find out your child has CHARGE you think "What is that? and who can I talk to about this?" Then suddenly there are so many people you can talk to.
The drink has an adorable name goes with the adorable baby.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
PS my daughters page is set to private because I have some people from my past I do not want view it, but if you would like to view it just send me an email and I can add you to the invite list. crystalm1476@hotmail.com
Sounds yummy! My DD (now 5) has Down Syndrome, so I can relate to some of the things you are going through with early intervention in PT, speech, etc. I wish lots of wonderful play times for you and your sweet girl!
Caroline
That sounds good......I am not much of a martini drinker though. I was just saying this last night....I want to be, but I haven't had a martini yet that I can drink the entire thing. Maybe I need to come to CA so I can try a Babar-tini!
I also LOVED the post you did on the fort you made for Vivian. Madeline is a huge fort lover! I am in the market to find some fun sheets to use for forts. How fun! I wish we lived much closer so Maddie and Viv could enjoy forts together.
Also, I just wanted you to know that I used to have the same concern about Madeline. Was I doing enough? I was just remembering a time like this just recently. We had to do "range of motion" with her when she was a baby and I'd always forget since I had to find time for eating, napping, bathing, holding, etc. At the end of the day I'd realize I didn't do her "exercises." I think setting up a schedule when you set time aside to do it is wise. That was my solution I came up with a few days ago when I was thinking back to Madeline's babyhood.....it's a good thing I figured it out four years later. :)
Hugs, Sara
Yum! I hope we have time to find them as they might be a fun twist on a margarita too!
Post a Comment