11 months old - a chocolate cupcake with sprinkles on top
Happy 11 months. I have to admit, I'm a little melancholy writing this letter. While I celebrate everything you are 11 months after your birth (and boy, do I), there's this rather large part of me that is counting down to your first birthday, and I am wondering: Have I lived in my skin enough during these 11 months of being your mom? Am I treasuring and memorizing and soaking in our moments enough? I'm doing the best I can - I guess it's the ultimate paradox - it's my job as your mom to help you blossom into a happy, compassionate, well-adjusted grown up, but on a daily basis I want to stop time and just sit in it a little longer with you.
Sigh.
You, my chica lica, are a busy bee. You are becoming quite nimble in your day to day play. It's fun to watch. You grab your toes and roll from side to side; you grab your toes and kiss them, too! It's lovely - and, I agree, your toes are delicious!
Speaking of delicious, you are so not interested in solid food anymore. We still try, but you only like to grab the spoon and chew on it. Preferably with no food on it. Oh, well. On the flip side, you have started holding your bottle and feeding yourself. That is a riot. When I break out the camera to capture this on film, you smile and milk dribbles out of your mouth. My little ham. So, I'm thinking you are going to enjoy solid food more when you can feed it to yourself - but I haven't braved cheerios yet. Maybe this weekend.
On the 4th of July you had your longest bout of tummy time yet - 10 minutes - with the help of some Baby Einstein or Baby Beethoven or some such thing. I knew you had it in you to do it. You just had to be properly inspired - and I promise I don't take offense that all of my shenanigans (singing, reading, dancing, silly faces) evidently don't hold a candle to Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 and gently moving Disney video.
You, my Vivian, continue to delight in the world and the people around you. We had dinner with my two oldest friends - as in, hung out when we were babes in diapers friends - and I am so happy we got to all be together. I think and hope some of the friends you have now will be this kind of friend. It's a happy thought.
Birthday picnic in the backyard
Tonight for your birthday dinner we enjoyed a backyard picnic on the quilt I made with my mom and grandma Vivian before I left for college. We talked about our days, enjoyed pasta salad and listened to the Counting Crows. To me, it was the perfect family evening. It is the kind I hope to duplicate over and over again as you continue to grow.
Which leads me back to how I began this letter. You are growing up so beautifully, Vivian. And, like the song says, everything grows. A blade of grass. / Fingers and toes. / Hair on my
head. / A red, red rose. I am growing, too. Growing and blossoming as I never really anticipated I would. I can feel my heart and my mind stretching and reaching and swelling as we continue on our way. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I love you, I love you, I love you. With rainbow sprinkles on top.
Mama

4 comments:
Such a little cutie! Happy month 11 Viv, see you soon!
What a big girl! I love that you had a picnic in the backyard to celebrate. I am so excited to see Miss Vivian sitting up soon! yeah!Happy 11 months Miss Vivian!
She is so beautiful! I love her smile. You can see her happiness. Soon it will be your big day!
I love these letters you've written to your daughter! What a nice memory to have for both you and her as she gets older. Beautiful.
xo
Leslie & Katie
Post a Comment