4.05.2008

Dear Peony Plants,

You were a very special gift from a delightful kindergarten student and her mom at the end of school last year. They remembered that I LOVED peonies and sought out two beautiful plants as a very meaningful gift for me. Your lovely petal-icious flowers were on my wedding invitation and in my wedding bouquet, and I was so very excited at the thought of having you in my front yard.

My dad and I planted you last summer. I watered you and tried to keep you comfortable in your new home. But I have to admit, since Vivian arrived you have been ignored.

And I really, truly thought I had killed you. One sad little lifeless stick poked out of the ground where you were each planted. But two weeks ago, I noticed a small little something coming out of the ground where I planted you. At first I thought it might just be a weed...but I daresay your roots were established enough to get you through months of neglect. You're alive!

And now I am giddy at the thought of you growing and blossoming for years to come. My student's mom was right - apparently you're the type of plant that can weather the storm of a non-green-thumbed wannabe gardener. That makes you the perfect plant for a girl like me. That, and your gorgeous blooms make my nose tingle with delight.

Oh, to think my Shirley Temple peony might one day look like this one!

Thank you for reminding me that growth happens under the surface even when it can't be seen. That hearty and strong roots allow for all sorts of surprises and blossoming.

And, dear peonies, I'm so relieved I didn't kill you.

Love,
*hannah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the week! What a big girl Vivian is...on her tummy and smiling too!! yay! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes saying "I told you so . . ." is a happy thing! Congrats on the rebirth of your plants! M & B

Mindy and Tyler said...

I absolutely love peonies. I've been wanting to plant some, but worry that I can't keep them alive. Glad to hear they are resilient. Maybe I'll give it a try!

Michele said...

SO exciting! Maybe peonies would be a good plant for me. I wonder if they'd grow here!