We like food in this house. We like to cook it, we like to bake it, we like to eat it.
The last meal of the year and the first meal of the next year hold special places in my heart. They're very important meals. (To me, at least.)
Last meal of 2008:
Braised short ribs, potato puree, swiss chard and horseradish cream. Recipe courtesy of Smitten kitchen: here. It will cost you a full day in the kitchen, but that's one of my favorite places to be, and I daresay this is worth it. Totally worth it.
First meal of 2009:
Amy's from scratch cinnamon rolls, a New Year's tradition with our dear friends. An egg bake and fruit and Dale's rockin' coffee. Good times with good people.
What was your last/first meal?
1.01.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Ok... so let me start by saying this: YUMMMMMMMMMMY!
Just on presentation alone, I would happily pay for a meal at "Chez H+V+v" :-)
I am NOT a cook. I can cook, but for necessity only. The last time I made a "star-studded" meal was the summer before Gracie's first heart surgery. These days, I don't have time to stop long enough to prepare an actual meal. I cannot remember the days when I thought I had a lot to do (you know, the days before Preston aka: Perpetual Motion Boy Wonder!)
I do, however, love (and I mean LOVE) to eat! I admire those who can and chose to perfect this artform. My husband, thankfully, loves to cook. And he used to make very pretty, very delicious meals. I hope those days come again... although I am not holding my breath!
My mouth is still watering thinking of your last and first! I actually went through a good portion of your "foodies" posts tonight!
OH... must mention how much I love your Christmas video. Put a big smile on my face. I clicked every link... can't wait to bake Aunt Augusta's cookies next year (or sooner! I do love to bake!). Any recipe from an "Aunt Augusta" must be magical on the palette, indeed!
(Oh... and how much did I beam at the images of you and your cookie baking with Grandma?!) I could go on! I already did! HA!
So... shall I admit my last and first...? It's quite sad, really.
LAST: a cold slice of pizza and a few peas from Preston's tray. (Followed by a snack at 1am of the remaining half of a farmer's market salsa - - eaten by spoon... no chips!)
FIRST: A carnation instant breakfast and the last few bites of Preston's Blueberry toast.
Aren't you sooooo jealous?!
I WILL do better next year! I like the idea of making the year's last and first meals something special. This could be a cool new tradition in our house, too!
(Should we check with Blogger to see if this comment is the longest on record?! hee!)
Love and hugs to you all!
Mmmm, I think well certainly have to put short ribs on the menu soon, but anything with horseradish gets me going, yum! You know what my first meal was (and my second, third and fourth). My last was meant to be super duper sushi and ended in spit in your napkin sushi :( Oh well, here's to 2009 (notice the 9? can't believe you didn't mention that yet!)!
Post a Comment