12.03.2007

Slumber Party! At Grandma & Grandpa's

Vince had a friend visiting from the East Coast this weekend, so he went to the city for a night out. I, on the other hand, invited myself over to my parents' house to spend the night.

Pre-baby, I would have relished a night at home all to myself--watch a chick flick, eat ice cream out of the container, fall asleep with my body taking up the ENTIRE bed. But I spend a lot of time with just me and the baby these days. And I love it, really I do. I'm a homebody. I enjoy time alone. But I just didn't want to be by myself ALL NIGHT. So, off to mom and dad's!

It reminded me of coming home from college, that feeling of truly coming home. To the house that was my home since I was born. I walked in, breathing in that familiar home smell, laden with bags and, different from those college years, a baby. We ordered a pizza, mom made yellow cake with chocolate frosting for dessert (my favorite!), we watched old episodes of Trading Spaces, and then I went to sleep in my old room, in my lovely Jane Austen-y bed with the closet doors I painted in high school and had nearly forgotten about. Only this time, with a baby. We woke up rested and happy, mom made pancakes, dad made coffee, we ate and chatted and looked at the Sunday paper. All the while, a cute baby was among us. And it just felt right.

1 comment:

angie said...

you should post close-ups of those doors - they really are amazing!