11.20.2007

Thanksgiving


I don't think I realized it until last week, but Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite holiday. I love that it's all about family and food and counting blessings. No headache-inducing trips to the mall searching for the perfect gift, just grocery shopping and cooking and baking--all of my favorite things to do (yes, I love grocery shopping).

Then a glass of champagne with family while the turkey rests and we ready our tummies for a delicious feast. We always try new recipes. One year my sister Sarah made the most delicious dessert I've ever eaten--Pear Upside Down Cake (I've requested it for this year). Last year I made a cranberry salsa to go with the turkey. And my mom always comes through with our family's favorites while throwing in something new--she told me she made a cranberry pear marmalade yesterday. Yum!

As a kid, my family always rented a house in Inverness on Tomales Bay. We'd schlep all the fixings for a delicious Thanksgiving up to this charming village and then spend the rest of the long weekend hiking at the beach, skipping stones on the bay, walking to town, exploring shops filled to the brim with lovely handicrafts or just hanging out by a crackling fire reading a book or playing Jenga. Cozy memories.

As a teacher, Thanksgiving holds some of my favorite classroom traditions. Reading Cranberry Thanksgiving, baking Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread so that our classroom was filled with the most mouth watering of smells, teaching about the first Thanksgiving in 1621 when Pilgrims and the Wampanoag celebrated a successful harvest, and this poem, which I've used since my first year teaching. I found it always inspired thoughtful "I'm thankful for ________" discussions. What are you thankful for this year?

THANK YOU
for all my hands can hold--
apples red,
and melons gold,
yellow corn
both ripe and sweet,
peas and beans
so good to eat!

THANK YOU
for all my eyes can see--
lovely sunlight,
field and tree,
white cloud-boats
in sea-deep sky,
soaring bird
and butterfly.

THANK YOU
for all my ears can hear--
birds' song echoing
far and near,
songs of little
stream, big sea,
cricket, bullfrog,
duck and bee!

~Ivy O. Eastwick~


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for you! Hannah, you have taught me so much these past three months through your words and your amazing strength! Thank you for sharing this journey with us! Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family and your 'stolen time' cuddling Vivian at home!

AmyK said...

I am thankful for you too! It has also been my favorite holiday for all the reasons you mentioned. I hope you and your family make it back to Inverness one of these years - I think Vivi would love it!