11.01.2007

El Día de los Muertos

My first teaching job immersed me in Mexican culture--nearly all of my first grade students were Mexican, and most had roots in the state of Michoacan. It was my dream job, and though it was the most challenging experience of my life at that point, I loved being la maestra to my class. I loved hearing Spanish spoken on the playground, in la oficina and in the teachers' room. I loved that my students and their parents patiently and warmly encouraged me to practice my Spanish with them when we chatted after school or at a conference.

Each year for El Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, one of my colleagues, Margarita, set up an altar in her classroom. Day of the Dead is celebrated in Mexico at this time each year. It has its roots in the indigenous culture of Mexico--where death was embraced as a continuation of life. Margarita's students brought in photos, food offerings and objects that held special memories of loved ones who had passed away. They ate pan de muerto and had traditional sugar skulls. What always struck me about this day was how joyful, colorful and beautiful the altar in Margarita's classroom was. That there was happiness and vibrancy instead of bleakness and sorrow. A true celebration of life.

So, today, I celebrate Vivian's namesakes and the full lives they led. I will listen to some John Denver in honor of my grandma (she loved him!), and I will try and track down some black licorice in honor of Vince's grandfather. I might even dance on a table.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for remembering and honoring both your side and Vince's side of the Family Tree! I love that picture of my Dad with Vince in his first little blue suit...which is now in YOUR closetI'm also glad I finally see your very special Grandma Vivian.
Vivian and Erik Madsen are still "here" with us each and every day.

AmyK said...

What sweet photos and such a wonderful little tribute that Vivian will enjoy reading someday. I will confess I am a closet John Denver fan! Country Roads is one of my all time favorite songs...my 5th grade teacher played guitar and we would gather around her and sing this song with her quite often. Thanks for bringing back fond memories for me too.

Anonymous said...

I just got back from our family's Day of the Dead Celebration. We build an alter, place pictures and remember our loved ones. I think that is neat that you take the time to remember your loved ones on this day- perhaps next year you can be our special guest at our ofrenda!