{from http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwr/101591825/ } Do you remember learning your multiplication facts? My third grade year is distinguished by memories of stickers on a chart, marking my slow but steady mastery of multiplication tables one through twelve. My mom taught me a trick to memorize my 9's that involved understanding that all of 9's products add up to nine. (For example, 9x8=72: one less than 8 is 7, and 7+2 =9, so 9x8=72.) Hence, I was able to quickly get the sticker for my 9's, even though I was still struggling to master my 4's. I attribute my love for the number nine to learning this little trick more than twenty years ago. To this day, I add up digits to see if they equal nine, and there is a strange satisfaction I get when they do, in fact, add up to nine.
The number nine has certainly proved itself significant in my life. And while it's likely coincidence, I can't stop myself from attempting to glean meaning from it.
+ I was born on the 9th.
+ Vince and I kissed for the first time on September 9th: 9/9.
+ My first classroom was Room 18 (1+8=9). I had hoped for Room 9, but the teacher in Room 9 became and remains one of my dear friends.
+ I was married on the 9th.
+ Our wedding was April 9, 2005. 4/9/05: 4+5=9; 9+9=18; 1+8=9.
+ April 9 is the 99th day of the year.
+ My three favorite NASCAR drivers are numbers 24, 48 and 9. 24+48=72; 7+2=9. (Yes, I've alluded to being a fan before, and it's true. It's all Vince's fault. Go Gordo # 24! [It feels good to come clean about my love of NASCAR. I'll expound on the virtues of a good race another time.])
+ My three favorite NASCAR drivers are numbers 24, 48 and 9. 24+48=72; 7+2=9. (Yes, I've alluded to being a fan before, and it's true. It's all Vince's fault. Go Gordo # 24! [It feels good to come clean about my love of NASCAR. I'll expound on the virtues of a good race another time.])
+ Vivian was born on the 9th.
+ She weighed 4 lbs., 14 oz. : 4+1+4=9.
+ Her surgery is scheduled for the 9th.
+ She weighed 4 lbs., 14 oz. : 4+1+4=9.
+ Her surgery is scheduled for the 9th.
Okay, so now you either think I am completely off my rocker, or you understand my little idiosyncrasy because you have one of your own. Perhaps you'd like to share?

8 comments:
I have always know how crazy you were for the number 9, but never new all of the variations :) It is one of the many things that make you the Hannah that we love! Sadly I have no real idiosyncrasies :( But I am going to dedicate more time to uncovering some!
I was rushing when I posted my comment and right after I hit publish I realized some typos :( And then I freaked (slight exaggeration) when I realized I could not edit my posted comment. I thought I got over it, but this morning it was still plaguing me so I decided one way to 'fix' the problem was to just acknowledge it :) Yes, I am crazy. Happy Monday!
So, by definition an idiosyncrasy is 'a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual.' My dearest Amy, you've got plenty of these, but that's for another post.
Hannah, we went through our whole 7/4 craziness with his birthday and my lucky numbers growing up (they were 4 and 7 in that order). He was born 7/4, weighed 7lbs 4.7 oz. etc... so I know where you're coming from. What makes my day is Amy with 'Sadly I have no real idiosyncrasies :( But I am going to dedicate more time to uncovering some!' ... priceless. Take care Hannah and give your girl some hugs and kisses from us.
Well, since we're talking numbers...I was just thinking THIS must be Vince's lucky year because his birthday 7/12/1975 came out like this:
7+1+2+1+9+7+5 = 32 (his age this year)
This is fun stuff..!
Lorraine, I love the way you think! Good catch about Vince's birthday numbers. Love it!
Amy, darling, one might argue that your typo-freak-out is an idiosyncrasy. One that I can completely relate to, by the way. What do you think, Dale, are we onto something?
Love you!
Miss Madison was also born on the 9th! Love the multiplication table info--you are truly a gifted teacher . . . Beth
I must tell you, first of all, that I found your blog through a series of random clicks...And then tell you secondly that your daughter is BEAUTIFUL and truly lucky to have such a great mom. And then tell you THIRDLY that you are an AWESOME writer, and that, should you ever be on a search for a career in the future, I would read your book in a heartbeat.
Lastly, and the real reason i commented on THIS particular entry, is because before this i saw that you had read Eat, Pray, Love, which I just finished reading a couple days ago, and I was thinking that it must've thrilled the living heck out of you...the number 108!!! :)
-Kelly
Post a Comment