2.09.2009

Dear Vivian {Month 18}


Oh, Baby Girl, really? Are you really 18 months old today?

And then you do the thing that any 18 month old wearing an earmold with an attached chunk of plastic would do, you pull out your hearing aid. You pull it out with intention. I love your spunk. But baby girl, you've got to keep your hearing aids in. OK?

Other highlights from this month: You are scooting like a madwoman - fast and with purpose! You've also been working on crawling, brave girl! Your record is about five feet - it has been amazing to watch you push outside your comfort zone. The past few days it has been hard to get you to crawl because you've figured out how to move from 4-point kneeling to sitting. So instead of moving forward, you prefer to just sit up! I have found you sitting up in your crib a few times because of this new skill. You are eating crackers and waffles and whole cheerios now! Our new favorite thing that you do is hug daddy and me, tapping our shoulder with your little hand in such a nurturing and lovely way. New ASL signs this month: pig, sheep,water, grapes, cereal, socks, bread, pear, cookie, thank you, ice cream, candy, music, help, horse. You point to your ear when you hear a sound, imitating the "I hear ____" that I am forever modeling. You also point to your nose, belly button, toes, hair and eyes. You are also saying "uh oh!" and "all done!" (which sounds like ah du) along with mama (often mamama) and dada. I adore your sweet little voice, Vivian.

9 minutes {February 9, 2009 5:23 PM}



You scoot to a pile of books. You read a couple, pointing to pictures, turning pages and babbling to yourself. You bring Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? over to where I sit, saying mamamama and then nananananana with increasing impatience, until I set down my notebook and start reading your favorite book (you're a little obsessed with it lately).


You scoot to the book pile and hold another book out to me. Nananananana (this seems to be what you say when you want something). I read Baby Animals to you, and you pause on each page to touch and feel the fuzzy duck or rough elephant. You read it to yourself now bububububumumumumu as you turn the pages, pointing to the animal on each page.

You scoot to your stacking cups, bang a couple together twice and then scoot back to a pile of books.



You pull out your hearing aid as you look at a book. I put it back in as you hold out the book to me and say nananananana. You sign book, and I read it to you. On the "kiss, kiss" page, you kiss the picture of the girl. You repeat baba after I read it on the baby page. You imitate me saying mmmmmm on that page.

The timer beeps, you point to your ear and look to where the sound comes from. I say "Do you hear the timer? It says beep beep beep. I hear it, too! Good listening, Vivian!"


10 comments:

AmyK said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Vivian! I don't think I am ready to accept that you are 18-months old, how can it be?! I cannot wait to have you teach me some of those new signs, I am especially excited about pear & ice cream! XOXOXOXO

The Claytons said...

Happy 18 months Vivian!! You are such an amazing, sweet, smart little girl!

The Clayton Family

Auntie Sarah said...

Happy bday sweet Vivian! I cannot believe you are already 1 1/2 years old! Seems like just a little while ago you were sleeping most of the time that we visited with you. Life is so exciting now..eating various foods, a growing repertoire of SIGNS (which I am also learning more of) and closer to crawling. YAY! Love you Vivi! Besos, Auntie Sarah

Anonymous said...

Wishing Viv a very happy 18 month birthday - she is simply amazing!
From her friend across the pond - Jake (and family) XXXXX

Crystal M. said...

AWWW 18 months what a milestone!! Eva also love the brown bear book and we have the polar bear one too. I love those books and they are easy to sign to her.
KEep up the great work Ms. Vivian!!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Anonymous said...

I love how Miss Vivian always wants to play with Mama during those 9 minutes!! Wow! Can't believe 18 months!! And so cute!!

Sara said...

Happy 18 Months, Vivian! You are growing into such an amazing little girl. I love watching you grow.

Tell your mom that I love reading her letters to you and about your nine minutes. Love it!

Hugs, Sara

Kristi said...

Happy 18 months (and one day!), Vivian! :-)
You are such a sweetie pie... and so smart! I am just amazed by all the learning and growing you are doing each day!
Sigh... I just love Nine Minutes each month!

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Happy 18-Month Birthday, Vivian! Your progress is just amazing! You and Katie would be good friends--she is slightly obsessed with "Brown Bear" too!

Auntie Sarah said...

By the way.. I am so happy to see that Vivian is enjoying her Adidas tennies and Squirrel sweatshirt. Pink does go so nicely with her Rosie Cheeks (like Mama!) :P