Happy 13 months, Sweet Vivian! (I'm not quite ready to let go of the brown [formula stained] chair photo each month on the 9th.)
I love the way you point. Ummm, excuse me!
9 Minutes* {September 9, 2008 2:15 PM}
You are lying on your back and you've lifted your step stool onto your chest.
You vocalize uh, uh, uh and then you put your stool over your face. You grunt and it echoes. You tap your left hand contentedly on the side of the stool. You wiggle - I'm thinking you must be smiling under there, but I can't see your face. You snort and it echoes again.
You take the stool off your face and smile at me. Peekaboo! I say. You play on your side for a moment before lifting the stool and going under it again. You take the stool off your face and you tap, tap, tap the top of the stool and let it fall to the side. You play with your hands uh, uh, uh. You point. You blow a little raspberry and say mmm, mm, mmm. More hand play. You fuss a little. Would you like to sit up?
I help you sit up and place the empty tissue box that has six blocks in it - one for each letter of your name. You reach in and pull out the green V.
You chew on it, look at it, turn it, drop it on the carpet in front of you, and reach for it.
Then you put it back in the box, turn the box upside down (more blocks fall into your lap) and play it like a drum. 9 minutes are up.
*A family friend was telling me about the nursery program she sent her kids to over 20 years ago. It sounds magical: for half the year the program is out in the woods; the other half of the year is spent in an old one room schoolhouse. I did more research, and part of the program involves the parent writing in-class observations of his/her child - 20 a year - in which mom or dad sits back and just watches, recording what his/her child does. These observations become a precious keepsake, capturing moments and development. I was inspired to do the same - to participate minimally and just watch as Vivian explores her environment, recording what she does on paper and with a few photos. It's a really interesting process - I'm so used to talking to her all the time or contorting her into some kind of PT move or checking email or doing some household chore while talking and playing- that I rarely just sit and watch. I highly recommend it, even if only for 9 minutes. It was my favorite 9 minutes of today.











10 comments:
Love the squirrel outfit!
LOVE this post, Hannah. It might be my favorite... although I do love so many! :-)
What a great twist to the letters to Viv this year. I think it's a fabulous idea. Can't wait to explore the link to the nursery program.
What a gift these brief observations are to you, Vince and Viv (and all of us because you share!). It's those "moments" that you can't get back unless you record them somehow. Each little thing that Viv did, how she reacted, how she explored & solved, the little sounds she made, and probably a joke of some sort to herself... how watching it all unfold made you feel. You have now captured those nine minutes forever. You can constantly go back to them and remember so clearly. It's a beautiful gift! I can't wait to see what next months minutes bring!
Also... please don't ever give up the brown (formula stained) chair pics! I so look forward to them each 9th! :-)
I love this post!
This is one of the times I feel like I need to rewind the last four years so that I could've done something like this with Maddie. It's never too late to start though.....hmmmmmmm. Right now I think it would consist of her rolling her Barbie VW Bug with a Barbie in the driver's seat and a My Little Pony in the passenger's.
Thanks for sharing.....and I love the squirrel outfit too!
Sara
I think you'll set a trend with this idea! Everyone will want one.. Absolutely enchanting... Love Cx
Ha! She is too cute. Do you think she might miss her helmet?!?
i *love* this! i also really liked when you did the week in the life posts. i tried to do the same thing, but i just couldn't! by the time i got to my computer, i forgot what i did. :)
Happy 13 Months, Miss Vivian! Love your 9 minutes of playing--you are quite creative with your play! :-)
I love the pointing! She just keeps getting lovelier! I often feel the exact opposite, too much watching and not enough engaging. I frequently catch myself just staring as E explores his world. It's so wonderful, I am just amazed at how these little creatures take it all in! I am with Carrie - I think she misses her helmet - too cute!
we have that stool at home, clearly, i've been misusing it! or at least, under using it...i'm off to use it properly!
I can't get over how big she is getting. I haven't been on the blogs since before school started and my life turned upside down yet again!
She looks fabulous!
Post a Comment