8.09.2008

Dear Vivian {Month 12}

Dearest Vivian,


12 months

Happy 12 months, baby girl. A year ago today you surprised us by arriving five weeks early. I feel very certain that you knew what you were doing. You arrived on the 9th, and you were feisty and cuddly and sweet from the start. You were so itty bitty - 4 pounds, 14 ounces. Yesterday we weighed you at the doctor and you were 16 pounds, 6 ounces! Hooray! I love that you scheduled a little growth spurt right before you turned one!


Sitting!

Sitting at the park - a birthday celebration with some neighborhood friends

This last month of your first year has been a flurry of development. You have pretty much mastered sitting...and you're already moving on. If I'm not right next to you, you'll reach your arms up, letting me know that you'd like to stand - now, please! I put my hands out, palms up, and you smile SO BIG as you push on my hands and stand proudly (and a bit wobbly).


With Grandma and Grandpa

You've got your first tooth! It has broken through and is just peeking out of your gums. Grandma found it the other night and we squealed with delight - I never expected this event to be so exciting - but then again there's a lot I haven't expected this past year - you have a knack for keeping me on my toes!


So strong!

You have continued to get stronger - pushing yourself up into prone position with increasing ease. We've been working on creeping and four point kneeling with your wonderful teacher. They're challenging exercises for you, but you've never shied away from a challenge, Miss Vivian.

You're clapping, too! At first you were doing it out of context, so I wasn't sure it counted - but now you and daddy have a before sleep routine of going up into prone position, rolling back over and clap-clap-clapping. It's the epitome of cuteness! The past few days you've been clapping excitedly. It's really fun to see you excited about things!



Oh, sweet thing, we've been through a lot this year - lots of ups and lots of downs - with several unexpected curves. But you, my remarkable little girl, have been nothing short of miraculous. You are a symbol of strength and joy and inspiration to me each and every day. So many people love you.




Just some of the people who love you : Granny, Dad, Uncle Tony, Aunt Sarah

The poet and artist Brian Andreas wrote this poem that makes me think of you:

Most people don't know there are angels
whose only job is to make sure you don't
get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss
your life.


My love bug

I feel fairly confident that everything in my life leading up to your birth was preparing me to be your mom. I've never felt more alive, more in my skin, more connected - and that is because of you. The difficult and dark moments are nothing compared to the bright, sweet and delightful moments. You have taught me so much about what's really, truly important in life - you have taught me to truly enjoy life - lessons I am so grateful to be learning, even if it's hard sometimes.




You, on your first birthday

You made us a family, Vivian.

Thank you for choosing me to be your mom, Vivian. I love you. Happy, happy birthday.

Yours,
Mama

8 comments:

AmyK said...

Happy Birthday Vivian! We Love, love, love you!

LisaAnn said...

Happy, happy birthday Vivian! I love your blue birthday dress. Such a pretty girl with a heart warming smile.

greta ott said...

happy birthday sweet vivian. Hannah, I love your words. I think just reading them makes me a better mom!
xo,
g

Mindy and Tyler said...

Happy Birthday! I adore the pictures in the blue dress with the bow in her hair. Too cute!

Carrie said...

Happy birthday, big girl! You are such a joy!

Anonymous said...

Wow Miss Vivian- what a busy month you have had. We are so proud of you! Happy Birthday sweet one!!
Hugs and Kisses for the Birthday Girl!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Vivian! I am so proud of you and your many milestones. You're beautiful, baby. I haven't met you yet, but I love you already. You've got my heart, girl. Love always, Victoria (for Justin and Moriah)

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday Vivian from your friends in Canada!!!
xoxoxox

Lisa & Kennedy Weir