12.23.2007

Viv's Little Friend

Vivian has the best room in the ICU. It's a corner room with two big windows, one facing east, the other facing south. It lets in beautiful light and has great views since it's on the second floor.

I was sitting at Vivian's bedside, chatting with her wonderful nurse, when at the window I saw a familiar swish. It took me a second to realize that yes, that really is a squirrel on the window sill! Somehow it got to Vivian's window and decided to hang out for a bit. It played for a few minutes before going on its merry way. Her little guardian angel.

Vivian is recovering as expected. She is sedated and still has a breathing tube, but that will likely come out on Sunday. When her sedative starts to wear off every few hours, she does her little Vivi moves--raising her right arm, doing her pilates-like leg lifting, crossing her ankles. Little glimpses that our little girl is still her same sweet self, just resting.

Vince and I are doing well. I'm not sure how to describe how we're coping, but we are. I guess it's kind of like I'm not really in my body. I'm here, but a little different, a little removed. Self-preservation and forcing myself to stay in the moment is what it's all about.

We are surrounded by amazing people who know how to take care of our little girl, and that in turn takes care of us. We feel love and good thoughts coming our way and that keeps us going--thank you, thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us posted. We are happy to hear that Vivian is doing well. The Maniagos are on our minds and in our hearts a lot this weekend. We can't imagine how hard this must be for you all. Continue to have strength and faith! Vivi- You Go Girl!! Stay strong!! Much Love!!!

AmyK said...

You continue to be in our thoughts, and we so appreciate you keeping us posted! So glad to hear Vivi is staying strong - keep it up Vivi, you'll be home soon!

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah, I have just spent some time getting to know your sweet little girl through this wonderful blog. I'm sure you are so glad to have the operation over, and you can look forward to bringing Vivi home soon. My family sends all its positive thoughts and energy out to yours tonight. Love, Celeste Mahoney